Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Workshoping Hamlet

In my fantasy life, which is rich and full, I imagine myself in a writing workshop with Shakespeare discussing Hamlet. "Pirates? Really? Why don't you just have him abducted by aliens?" And then someone else chimes in, "I'm OK with the initial pirate attack, but then they give him a lift back to Denmark? That's where you lost me." And then someone else, "I'm OK with the whole pirate thing, I mean whatever. But does Laetes really need to jump into the grave at Ophelia's funeral?" And then someone else, "And why doesn't Gertrude do more to save Ophelia? She provides such a detailed description of her drowning, but she can't be bothered to send someone to save her? I mean, how far away can she be?" In the end, everyone agrees that they really love Rosencrantz and Guildenstern and maybe he could do a bit more with them.

This article from Tor.com discusses how some people on Tumblr imagine Hamlet as RPG. That makes sense to me, too.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment